Saturday, April 9, 2011

My Interest Began

When I was growing up in the mid-1950's and 1960's in Columbus, MS there was one very important family outing no one in our family was allowed to miss.  It was the annual Haynes family reunion held each Easter Sunday afternoon in a lodge owned by my uncle, Fletcher S. "Buddy" Haynes.  Daddy's family was from Lambert, MS which is located in the Mississippi Delta. Uncle Buddy's home and his lodge were located by the Coldwater River and had a mailing address of Crowder, MS.


My father was Wendell Thomas "W.T." Haynes, Jr.  He was the son of Wendell Thomas Haynes, Sr. and Helen Josephine Sanders Haynes.  Although daddy was born on Lucy Avenue in Memphis, TN he spent most of his formative years on the family farm on Highway 3 outside "downtown" Lambert, MS.  Lambert is located about 3 miles from Marks, MS; 18 miles from Clarksdale, MS and about 30 miles from Batesville, MS.

My father's first schooling was at the Haynes School and his teacher lived with his family. I am uncertain if children other than the Haynes attended the school; but my father was next to the oldest of 14 children.

1 comment: